Spotlight on Aylesbury
Our latest regional career spotlight focuses on the town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.
Aylesbury is located just north of the Chiltern Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, in the agricultural area known as the Vale of Aylesbury. It is commutable distance to Reading, Oxford and London.
Work is also underway on a new restaurant and apartment hub in Aylesbury town centre, with construction completed by autumn 2018.
Once finished there will be 4 new restaurants and 47 one and two bedroom flats built above them. This new development is part of Aylesbury town centre's regeneration. Significant investment has already gone into developing Aylesbury Waterside Theatre, Waitrose, Travelodge, a new public car park and the University Campus Aylesbury Vale.
The wider Aylesbury Vale region has a population of 193,100. Of these 101,100 are in employment and 3,500 unemployed. The average salary is £28,134.
Aylesbury Vale Enterprise Zone is a partnership between the public and private sectors to deliver a significant commercial development for the wider benefit of the local and regional economies. It covers three key specialist ‘engines for growth’ –
- Silverstone Park (Motorsport/High performance engineering)
- Westcott Venture Park (Space Propulsion)
- Arla (Agri-food/health)
Key industry info
According to Monster, skilled individuals with IT, web, sales, engineering, or accounting expertise may have the easiest time finding jobs in Aylesbury.
There is a need in the area for the following sectors:
- Information and Communication
Aylesbury-based companies snapshot
- Marketing: Avinity https://www.avinity.com/index.html
- Bucks County Council: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/
- Bucks University Technical College: http://buckinghamshireutc.co.uk/
- Logistics and supply chain: Cinram http://www.cinram.eu/uk/index.html
- Engineering: CNF Precision Engineering http://cnfengineering.com/
- Research and consulting: Oakdene Hollins http://www.oakdenehollins.com/
- Catering: Compass Group https://www.compass-group.co.uk/
The National Careers Service in Aylesbury
Naila Hussain is the National Careers Service adviser for Aylesbury. She can be found in the Aylesbury Study Centre on Tuesdays 10am – 4pm, at Aylesbury Job Centre on Wednesday 10am – 4pm and then in High Wycombe Library working alongside People Plus 10 – 2pm.
Job seeking or changing career? Get careers advice from our National Careers Service advisers.
* Sources: Nomis, LMI Update Bucks Skills Hub Autumn 2016, Adzuna, Monster
There are no comments for this post. Be the first to comment.
Write A Comment for the Spotlight on Aylesbury post
To write a comment, please login...
Related blog posts
It’s an anxious wait for teenagers and their parents/carers as the moment of...
Apprenticeships having undergone a transformation. They now offer great...
The New Year is often a time of change: when we make resolutions to improve our...
If you're not sure whether to do work experience (especially if you've got to...
Sign up to our newsletter today to receive latest news updates and information.