Spotlight on Newbury
Our latest regional career spotlight focuses on the town of Newbury in West Berkshire.
Newbury is a market town in West Berkshire with a population of over 38,000. Known as the crossroads of Southern England, Newbury has excellent transport links with direct service to London Paddington in 51 minutes and Reading in 19 minutes. Newbury also has many business parks, strategic road and rail communications, high education and employment level and more than one job for every resident of working age.
In the 1980s, Vodafone chose to locate its headquarters in Newbury. Other large companies in Newbury include Micro Focus, Newbury Investments, Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions and Stryker.
Largest employment sectors
- Wholesale, retail and repair
- Digital technologies. This is also a sector specialism in Newbury
Highest paying jobs in the area (source: Adzuna)
- Quantity surveyor
- Commercial manager
- Project manager
- Software engineer
- Java developer
- Contracts manager
- Product manager
- Design engineer
Newbury: Current strengths and the future
West Berkshire Council has produced Vision 2026, which sets out Newbury's plans to encourage economic growth, tourism and expand on the town’s present strengths. Vision 2026 and the Newbury Town Plan by Newbury Town Council notes that:
- The town currently has five business parks – Greenham Business Park, Newbury Trading Estate, Newbury Business Park, Turnpike Industrial Estate and London Road Industrial Estate. Another business park is necessary that will be accessible from the M4.
- Newbury has around 5,000 businesses that can be divided into small start-up enterprises, medium sized enterprises and larger companies.
- Up to £10m is being invested to improve the A339 through Newbury by 2021.
- Newbury’s Parkway is a residential and retail development that opened in 2011 but Newbury is now ‘nearing saturation in terms of retail’. Refurbishment of Newbury’s other shopping centre, The Kennet Centre, has begun in order to ‘reinvigorate retail south of the canal.’
Newbury-based companies snapshot
- Bluefish Communications (part of Vodafone)
- Compleat Food Network
- Gekko UK
- Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions
- Micro Focus
- National Instruments
- Newbury Building Society
- Snell Advanced Media
- Sovereign Housing
- The Vineyard Group
- West Berkshire Council
* Sources: Nomis, Thames Valley Berkshire Skills Priority Statement, Adzuna, Monster, Chancellors, Vision 2026, Newbury Town Plan 2019-2036
There are no comments for this post. Be the first to comment.
Write A Comment for the Spotlight on Newbury post
To write a comment, please login...
Sign up to our newsletter today to receive latest news updates and information.