STEM Careers: Inspiring the next generation
27th Mar 2019
Since WOOP began in November 2016, it has been an exciting journey engaging with employers of all sizes and young people aged 15-24 across Berkshire to inspire and educate them about local STEM career opportunities. The project was funded by the European Social Fund and the Education & Skills Funding Agency to help Berkshire employers recruit and train talented individuals that will bring their businesses into the future.
The initial project was due to run until July 2018, however due to its success further funding meant it could continue until the end of March 2019.
During the past two years, the project has been successful in raising awareness across a huge audience in Berkshire:
- WOOP has run STEM events for over 18,000 students in Berkshire
- Delivered 22 large events and 73 small events
- Over 250 work placements have taken place
- WOOP has recruited 257 STEM Champions
- Event themes included: Gaming & Coding, Healthcare, Business & Finance, Technology, IT and Engineering
- 35% of STEM Champions are ICT/Software & Media sectors
- 33% of STEM Champions are from the Engineering sector
- 14% of STEM Champions are from Business & Finance sectors
- Only 1% of STEM Champions are from Bioscience
- 45% of STEM Champions are from SMEs
- 56% of STEM Champions are male and 44% are female
Continuing the great work
The WOOP project closes on 31st March 2019 as the funding for the project ceases, however there is still lots to do to inspire and educate young people and Adviza will continue to work with schools and colleges to engage them with local employers.
Related news stories and posts
Sign up to our newsletter today to receive latest news updates and information.
Huge thank you to Adviza who have been able to complete remote careers appointments with Maiden Erlegh Chiltern Edge students this...Read More